Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Why do Shoujo guys suck?

Okay, so I admit, I am a little biased towards the shoujo genre. I have been traumatized by Twilight and similarly bad teenage girl aimed literature, therefore, I was a little hesitant to pick up the Manga equvilant of it. I found some I love, and some that I think should never have graced my computer screen/book shelf.
There does seem to be a reoccurring problem though. Most of the mangas I didn't like went a little like this: Girl with no backbone meets controlling guy, or Girl with a fake backbone (Just being loud and protesting for no reason about everything) meeting an equaling loud and CONTROLLING guy. I'm going to break it down further, by providing a list of reoccuring things that just annoyed me a bit.
1. The girl usually ends up with the first guy introduced (Way too predictable)
2. The girl usually ends up with the guy who she argues with the most. (What's wrong with liking someone you would actually admit you like?)
3. The girl usually has very little personality, allowing for the reader to put herself (Yes usually herself, this is aimed at teen girls after all) into the character's shoes (This annoys me in any genre of any sort of media, but it is more blatant here. Maybe it's the fact that I don't fantasize about having three people at once randomly start liking me someday, I don't know)
4. If the girl has a personality, she will either be an extreme doormat, or suffer from what some people call rebellious princess syndrome.
5. They seem to suggest that the girl will only be happy if she has a boyfriend.
6. Some of the guys featured are rather sadistic individuals. (THEY WOULD NOT BE ROMANTIC IN REAL LIFE THEY WOULD BE JUST PLAIN FRIGHTENING)
7. Girls seem to want to drop everything, just to develop a relationship.
8. They go on for seven chapters before anything happens when you're just waiting for the inevitable, and THERE IS NO REAL OBSTACLE standing in their way.
9. The shy girls are too naive, (Oh, because the girl who's been a bitch to you you're entire life is going to suddenly be nice. There's absolutely NO trickery in the works there, none at all.
10. The randomly tripping and being saved by guy of choice (Wait, where the hell was he when I fell down the stairs after school today?)
11. The really nice guys never win. Plucky comic relief! Plucky comic relief never seems to win:(

All right, I still have to put a disclaimer out there, this doesn't apply to the entire genre! I have found works that I actually enjoy reading, these are just complaints about the less well done. among it.

Well I'm signing off!

No comments:

Post a Comment